How to make someone look thinMay 4, 2009 # Beginner Tutorials, Intermediate Tutorials # 13 Comments
How come celebrity models do not look exactly the same in the magazines as in the real life? Of course there is something going on behind the curtains, but what is happening?
By now, we know that photo editing tools such as Adobe Photoshop can be used to manipulate photos and make people look “good”. Have you ever wished that you could look thin whenever you look at your photos? If you ever wished for a miracle, this tutorial is here to help you. In this step-by-step guide, we’ll explain how to make someone look thin using Photoshop.
1. First, open the picture you want to modify. Go to File -> Open and then choose the photograph.
2. Then, go to Filter menu and select Liquify.
3. A separate window will be opened for performing the Liquify effect.
4. In the new window, select the “Freeze Tool” for freezing the areas of the photograph that you do not want to make thin. As an example; the head is an area that we do not wish to make thin. Therefore, the background and the head area will be frozen using Freeze Tool.
Once the areas that do not need to be touched are marked, they will be highlighted in red. You can use different brush sizes (select from the right panel) carefully selecting the areas you do not want to be retouched. If you want to magnify the image for better visibility, press “ctrl and +”. Now, we’ll start with the body areas that are not highlighted in red and make them slightly thinner.
5. Now that you’ve got the parts that you do not want touched; go to the “Wrap Tool” located in the toolbar.
6. Make the brush size bigger, about 125 will be the ideal. Now touch the edges of the body area with the selected brush to make them look thin. For touching up the fine areas, simply use a smaller sized brush. Carefully touch the edges of the area while making sure they do not look abnormal or out of shape. Once you are done with thinning the body area, you’ll get an image similar to the one below. The cleared areas are the areas that have become thin.
7. Once you are done with the thinning, click OK in the right panel to go back to the image’s main window.
8. Save the thinned image and compare it with the old one. You will instantly see the difference between the two — differences such as the ones shown below are not uncommon.
Final words on making someone look thin using Photoshop
Making someone look “good” with Adobe Photoshop is just a couple of minutes away and it is as easy as this mini-guide illustrates. You can make anyone look thin with a few clicks of your mouse but do remember that your creativity and artistic ability needs to be used when attending to the task. So go on and make people look slim and beautiful!Once done you may want to go a step further by doing some body reshaping.
You might find these related posts useful too: